History of Emanuel

On October 6, 1878, Evangelical Lutheran Emanuel church was founded.  On the 16th Sunday after Trinity in 1878, Reverend E. Barkow organized this congregation in Strawberry Point, Iowa and became the first pastor. There were 13 charter members who resolved to join the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Iowa and Other States.  The first members of the congregation were: George Duerst, Frederick Zeuch, George Deindoerfer, Gottlieb Stapel, Herman Busse, Fred Schug, Ernest Schoeppe, Jacob Schmidt, Simon Moser, George Sauerbrei, John Brader, and Peter Brell.

The first church council members were John Brader, Frederick Schmidt, and George Duerst. Messrs. Frederick Schug, George Deindoerfer and Jacob Schmidt were the first trustees. In the beginning, services were conducted in a hall, later on, the church of the Univeralist denomination.  Soon also this building would not accommodate the growing congregation. They bought a half acre of ground from Mr. and Mrs. John Brader in the spring of 1882 and the first church was erected. The dimensions were 32x50, with a tower of 85 feet in height. The building cost the congregation $3000.00, which was raised by free-will donations  On Sunday, November 8 of 1882, the dedication of the church took place.  The sermons of the day were preached by brothers, Professor Sigmund Fritschel, D.D., and Professor Gottfried Fritschel, D.D.

In 1883, Rev. Barkow received a call from a congregation in Cedar Falls, Iowa.  The congregation recluctantly accepted his resignation.  After Rev. Barkow’s departure, the congregation was served by Cand. Theol. Salfield of the seminary at Mendota, IL. In March, the congregation called Rev. Gustavus Graf.  He accepted the call and began his work on April 15, 1883. He was installed by Rev. J. G. Rembold, Sr.

In 1884, the parsonage was built, and in 1886, the school house was built. In 1893, the parsonage was remodeled and enlarged.  The congregation’s desire to have a bell in the church tower grew so strong, that the congregation resolved to buy two bells instead of one.  The bells were dedicated on October 6, 1895, and were used not only to call to services, but upon special request from the business men of the town, to mark the chief hours of the day.  The congregation added a barn to its property in 1896. In 1899, the school house provided desks to its students. 

The congregation continued to grow, and a 32 x 44 cross-section was added to the old building with a 6 x 18 altar niche. In addition, a new pulpit and pews were installed. The glass of the windows was replaced by stained glass, and a hot-air furnace replaced the stoves.  The cost of these improvements was $3000.00. On October 5, 1902, the congregation dedicated its remodeled church. Reverend E. Casselmann, of Charles City, Iowa gave the dedicatory address, and the sermon was preached by Reverend. F. Lutz of Waver, the president of the district. 

n the fall of 1916, Rev. Gottlieb Fritschel of New Hampton, Iowa was called and accepted, but unable to move before the spring of 1917.  On March 18, he was installed by Dr. M. Reu. Soon after, the congregation decided to erect a new parsonage.

Use of the English language during sermons was practiced beginning with Rev. Graf, and was given even more emphasis, as boys and girls in the congregation had very  little opportunity to speak German, and at this time received their religious instruction in the language of their country. 

In February of 1926, Rev. G. Fritschel was unexpectedly called to become the supeintendent of the Lutheran’s Orphan’s Home in Waverly. A call was then extended to Rev. M. Jahr of Beloit, WI to become his successor.  On April 29, 1926, Rev. Jar was installed by Reverend John Graening of Waverly, IA.